Have you ever wondered WHY yoga is so beneficial for the body? We all know that it improves flexibility and muscle strength, but how does it improve posture, prevent cartilage and joint breakdown, protect our spine, improve bone health, increase blood flow, boost immunity, lower blood pressure, and so much more!?
Classes will be held Saturday mornings 9-10:15. Steve will lead this 5 part series (attend one class or the entire series) based on integrating basic human anatomy into our understanding of the yoga poses within a yoga class. Each class will enhance your personal yoga experience helping you to understand the why's behind the benefits of the yoga postures.
This class is open to yoga teachers, students with experience and those new to the practice.
By understanding our physical body, we can then apply it intelligently to our yoga asana (postures), breathing techniques and everyday movement patterns. This benefits of the practice amplify when mindfulness is applied in understanding why the practice is so impactful- your journey to healing and understanding your body is now two-fold. All levels welcome.
This series will be broken into 5 weeks. You can attend all 5 sessions or just 1. Each session will include lecture and asana.
• The spine, its function, physical structure and development
• The four natural movements of the spine
• Applying these four movements to asana practice
• Respiratory System outline
• The Respiratory System and yogic breath
• Biomechanics in asana and muscular joint actions
• Axial and Appendicular Skeleton basics
• The three diaphragms
• Introduction to Bandha
• Prana and Apana
• The four parts of the breath
• Observe and assess your breath, strength and body structure and their interdependence.
• Combine breath and movement for mental steadiness.
Classes are appropriate for all levels of practitioners.
The series will be led by Steve Retzlaff E-RYT 500. Yoga Alliance CEU’s can be earned.
Purchase and Sign Up for the Series Here:
Entire Series for $90:
1 Session for $25: